1. The Petty Officers of the Navy shall be
divided into two classes; Petty Officers of the Line and Petty Officers.
The class of Petty Officers of the Line, and to the order of rank, with the
order of their succession to command, shall be as follows:
1. Boatswain's Mates.
2. Gunner's Mates.
3. Signal Quartermaster.
4. Cockswain to the Commanding Officer.
5. Captains of Forecastle.
7. Quarter Gunners.
9. Captains of Maintop.
10. Captains of Foretop.
11. Captains of Mizzentop.
12. Captains of Afterguard.
2. All other Petty Officers, except the Master-at-Arms, who will be the
chief Petty Officer in the vessel in which he serves, will be called Petty
Officers, and shall take precedence and have assimilated rank as follows;
Master of the Band,
To rank next after the Master-at-Arms.
To rank next after Gunner's Mates.
Captains of Hold,
To rank next after Captain of Afterguard.
3. Petty Officers are not to exercise authority except in the department to
which they belong, or over those placed immediately under their control, and
precedence among those of the same rare; shall be established by the
4. Orderly Sergeants of Marines shall rank next after Master-at-Arms; all
other Sergeants with Gunner's Mates; and all Corporals with Captain of
5. Non-commissioned officers of Marines are not to exercise military
authority or command over those not of their corps unless on guard or police
duty, or when specially authorized so to do by the commanding officer of the
vessel or station.
6. When serving afloat, Petty Officer of the Navy shall take precedence of
non-commissioned officers of Marines holding the same relative rank; but
when serving as troops on shore, the non-commissioned officers shall take